Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Enlightened in the Dark of a Theatre - a Response to the class discussion - 'Why do People Still Go to Movie Theatres?'

The primary reason that I attend a movie is for the immersive experience. I quite enjoy sitting in the dark, surrounded by expensive speakers, staring at an abnormally large screen with minimal distraction. Film is a popular activity in our modern culture and most people believe one deserves to be seen under these conditions. In the past I was not able to articulate the reason I enjoyed the theatre so much. After our class discussion with Mr. Miller I can do so easily. I believe that film is one of the most effective, if not the most effective, ways to express yourself. Creating or telling a story for the public to see with their eyes is very insightful. People tend to understand something better when they can both see and hear it. It makes sense that our population would want to see something like this in an immersive environment such as a movie theatre.

 I mentioned above that film is a popular activity in our culture. Many people go to a movie, regardless of their interest in the film simply because it is a social event. I can honestly say I have never actually done this. I will attend a movie as a social event, but I will never see a movie I have no interest in. People also attend movies for their cultural significance. I definitely believe this to be true. I have seen movies on their first night in theatres only to see someone dressed in costume. I find it incredible that a screenwriter can create something so spectacular that on opening night they have fans willing to dress up as the characters they have created.

-Guinn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enlightened in the Dark of a Theatre - a Response to the class discussion - 'Why do People Still Go to Movie Theatres?'

The primary reason that I attend a movie is for the immersive experience. I quite enjoy sitting in the dark, surrounded by expensive speaker...